Below are the main points I presented to the group.
Introduce Concept -
- Website will educate the audience about the history of skateboarding.
- Enabled me to highlight target audience.
- Results showed that participants thought a knowledge of skateboarding history is important.
- Results also showed that participants would engage more with a website with illustrative, skateboard style illustrations.
- The 'kinetic V5' website successfully utilizes illustrative aesthetics to visually represent the D.I.Y zine ethos the site is based around.
- My outcome will utilize similar aesthetics as they are very relevant to my target audience.
Finally, I showed examples of my thumbnail design variations and final scamps while explaining how the site will navigate. Moreover, I also explained my reasoning for making certain design decisions.
After each student had finished presenting their work the group and tutors had a change to give constructive feedback regarding the concept, project progression and website.
Below are the comments I received after presenting my work;
Landing page -
- Is the landing page needed? Users are often put off by functionless landing pages.
- It was later discussed that my landing/home page does have relevance as it introduces users to the websites purpose, what it hopes to achieve and why.
Appropriate aesthetics -
- My choice of rough, hand rendered aesthetics is very relevant to the target audience.
- Ensure that aesthetic theme runs consistently across all aspects of the site.
Static site -
- The sites fixed aesthetics means that the site will be very static and wont work across multiple formats.
- I would like my website to be responsive and therefore work on hand held devices such as tablets and smartphones. However, as I am working to a very tight timescale and have little experience with the software I will put the ideas forward as a proposal.
- At the end of my presentation I highlighted a composition related problem to the group. My current designs have a consistent composition that is used across the majority of pages however, the design created for my blog page breaks this consistency. I wanted to know if people thought this would be a big problem.
- The whole groups suggested that I should stick to the consistent centre column layout.
- For my project to progress I need to start creating wireframes for each page of my website. Wireframe designs are essential in successfully creating a website as they allow designers to see the specific measurements used on the layout of the page.
Finally, I reviewed the feedback that I received during the session and created a list of responses to help me successfully overcome the problems highlighted during the criticism.
- Make compositions consistent - Redesign blog final scamp with amended layout.
- Get started with the design process - Start creating the wireframes.
- Make decisions regarding production of website - colours, secondary fonts.
- Keep time organised - Start designing.