- Write final essay question.
- Develop concept (relates to physical outcome).
- Create detailed essay plan.
Once I have complete each of the above criteria I will be in a position where I can start writing my essay. Furthermore, when self-assessing my project last year I noted that producing a detailed essay plan, with a selection of supporting quotes, will help me complete the essays production quickly and without problem. Last year I only created a very basic essay plan, and I believe that this severely affected the timescale of the essays completion.
I started creating the question by defining a list of aspects that I want to review in my essay, the aspects relate directly to the subject matter that I want to review when writing my essay;
- The conditioning of young children to create consumers.
- Is creating young consumers key to the success of consumerism/capitalist culture?
- Born to buy.
- The integration of children into consumerist culture and the benefits for companies.
- Children's lack of ambition with regards to success (always focused on earning more money - related to class?)
- Child related commodities (what is marketed? Is it beneficial to them?)
ANALYSING THE POINTS
Next, I analysed the points displayed above to help me define a point of focus for the essay question, this is an important step as it will dictate how the question is written.
When I reviewed the points listed above I realised that, due to their similarities, they could be combined to create a singular point that covers all mentioned aspects. Although not all of the points are initially referenced they will be definitive subjects covered within the essay.
- The conditioning of young children to create a generation of consumers and the importance of doing so for the successful perpetuation of capitalist culture.
WRITING THE QUESTION
After defining the main of the essay I felt that I was in an informed enough position to start creating my essay question.
How does the capitalist system condition young children into becoming compliant consumers?
AIMS & OBJECTIVES
I have further expressed the primary focus of my essay through the specifics of my aims and objectives;
- Firstly, by outlining how children are conditioned into becoming brainless consumers, I hope to show how the capitalist system purposefully manipulates the youth to perpetuate consumerist ideology.
- Goals or a step on the way to meeting the aim; how will it be achieved?
EXAMPLES & SUPPORTING MEDIA.
Once the question had been created and I evidenced the specifics of the project I started collecting a selection of quotes and data that can be applied to support the points made in my essay.
After creating a list of quotes that can be used to support the points made by my essay I started writing a detailed essay plan.