Tuesday 3 December 2013

DESIGN PRODUCTION - BRIEF 1 - FINAL CRITIQUE

At the start of the session we were split into our two groups, A & B.

We (group A) started the session by creating a layout of project elements that shows our current progression so far. To help communicate my concept and project development I displayed some concept sheets, thumbnails (large and small) and a black and white proof print displaying the actual scale and current content.








I also listed some questions regarding parts of the project that I am unsure about, as I am at a stage of the design process where I am focusing on my final product I wanted the majority of feedback to focus on my layouts, aesthetic choices and the functionality of the chosen form.


QUESTIONS
  1. Is the header font included enough on the pages of the to be relevant? It has currently only been used on a few pages which has made me consider removing it.
  2. Does the chosen form (Rectangular dimensions) function appropriately? 
  3. Have you come across any problems when looking through the mock up?
  4. The guide is supposed to be opened to the left, did you do this?


Next to my question sheet I left a sheet of lined paper so that classmates who are critiquing my project have somewhere to write feedback, this also allows me to review the comments made and assess whether changes need to be made in response.


FEEDBACK 

Below is the feedback I received.








ANALYSIS

The feedback I received in response to my initial questions outlines some really relevant points regarding my projects progression and outcome. Reviewing the feedback has allowed me to highlight problems that when addressed will improve the function and aesthetic quality of my product.

Below I have listed the most useful points;

  • The header font is relevant, it works well at grabbing viewer attention and helps to form a clear type hierarchy. The body copy font also effectively mixes with the chosen header font creating an appealing aesthetic for viewers. 
  • Check for spelling mistakes!
  • I need to consider what colour scheme I will have and how this will affect the different design elements of my outcome.
  • The majority of participants who viewed my laser proof opened it to the left, this is a really important aspect of my design as if the guide is opened to the wrong side it could affect the amount of content my audience see.


RESPONSES


Firstly, my question regarding the header font was asked for peace of mind, I had only used the header font on a few pages so wanted to know if it was relevant or if it looked out of place. The feedback I received from the critique shows that people thought the header font is relevant and works well at creating an effective hierarchy. I will continue to use the font, and also increase its use through the publication to give it further relevance.

Comments also pointed towards the fact that I need to establish a colour scheme, up to this moment in time I hadn't given much consideration towards colour which was a mistake. However, in response to the feedback received I will define a colour scheme which will be used consistently throughout the publication. 




FINAL COMMENTS

I also received feedback that was less useful, either because it addressed problems that had already been amended or because it commented on something that was not a problem in the first place. The reason I received slightly irrelevant feedback is because I did not communicate enough project related information, certain design decisions had been finalised but made apparent through my design elements. 

The way to overcome this problem in future critiques and evaluations is to create design boards which communicate the progression of my project from the concept/research stages right through to images of the final outcome. The boards allow the audience to see the story of the project which helps communicate why certain design decisions have been made.


No comments:

Post a Comment