Tuesday, 4 December 2012



After I had finished collecting a broard range of research I started exploring possible ways of constructing my packaging, using models enabled me to see the pitfalls of each design and adapt them if necessary. Firstly, I created a model for the sleeve that will hold all the aspects of the project. 

I kept the net design fairly simple, for ease of production, we are working to a tight time scale so I want production time to be kept to a minimum to meet the deadline on time.  I will use card for the stock as the outer sleeve needs to be strong, the main function of the sleeve is to protect its contents when in the post. 

Next, I designed the packaging that will hold the contents of our project, such as the leaflet and posters. Information from the survey showed that it is vital for the packaging of a product to be well presented, and interactive. Therefore, the design will have two main functions. It will need to be the correct dimensions to hold all aspects of the identity, and  fit in the post. Moreover, the packaging need to be visually engaging and in theme with the rest of the project. 


After I finished creating my mock-up cover designs I had to select the most functional one, the design had to fit within the dimensions of my cover and hold the contents being produced by other members of my team. I can only progress and start designing the visual aspects of the cover and sleeve after the final has been selected, as the dimensions could change and my design might not fit correctly. I adapted my final design slightly

Next, I created design sheets that explored the visual aspect of my design.

I decided to produce the sleeve first, as I am working with a relatively thick card stock any designs will need to be done by hand. On my design sheets, I experimented with designs that could be produced by hand, such as sleeve with the stencil lettering. Due to the method of production I decided to produce a sleeve with stencil lettering. I first measured the net out, making it slightly larger that A5 so that all outcomes will fit inside it.

I then focused on producing the visual elements of the design, I selected the strongest design from my design sheets and started producing it in illustrator. First, I had to make the template for the design. 

Once I had the template I started digitally producing the visual design for the front and back of the cover. It is important for both sides of the cover to be aesthetically relevant as they will be seen by the audience. 

Firstly, to keep the packaging in theme with the branding I needed to use the exact same font as all the outcomes. Our groups selected 'Franchise' as our display font, a clean, legible uppercase only typeface. 

After playing with the composition slightly I had a final design.

The design, now ready for print, needs to be placed correctly so that the edges of the cover are aligned correctly. The design is being printed double sided on a thick paper stock as the paper needs to be resilient enough to hold all the outcomes. I produced the thicker outside sleeve to protect the cover and hold everything together. 

Unfortunately, we encountered countless problems when trying to align the design correctly. Additionally, due to a lack of time we did not have chance to properly print the cover, we had to settle with a one sided print on an unsuitable stock.

After I finished making the cover, all of the outcomes of the project were finished. When all of the outcomes were placed together it was apparent that there was a strong consistent theme.  Moreover, all of the aspects fit within the dimensions of my cover and sleeve making my packaging a success.


Firstly, my role in the group was to create the packaging to hold all other outcomes, such as the flyers, calendar and bumper sticker. After reviewing my research I created various models that explored possible outcomes. Producing the models enabled me to see which technique worked best. Moreover, I also decided to produce an outer sleeve for my packaging to fit within, the job of witch was to provide extra protection and hold all aspects of the project together. Both products functioned well, the sleeve was the correct dimensions and the tabs worked well at stopping the outcomes from falling out. However, due to time restrictions I could not print the sleeve on the correct stock, instead of a 150GSM the outcome was printed on paper. The outer sleeve also functioned well, as it was made from thick black card it worked well at protecting the outcomes. 



  • My design process could have explored more design variations.
  • Communication between the group was good, meaning decisions could be made easily.
  • When generating ideas people often had conflicting opinions due to different tastes in visual media, which caused some ideas to be ignored.
  • We could have improved our outcome by using more appropriate printing methods and by printing onto the correct stock.

No comments:

Post a Comment