Monday, 26 November 2012


First, I created my primary research board. This will present the information collected from my survey, using graphs and diagrams to display the results. I first made a simple boarder using the 'Rectangle tool' and added the title of the board. To ensure a strong theme runs across my boards I will use the same boarder on each.

I decided to include an example image of one of the scanned in surveys. This shows the audience an example of the questions asked and evidences that the results were not just made up.

Finally, I made simple bar graphs to display the data collected from my surveys. After these were arranged next to the survey example the sheet was finished.

Next, I produced my Secondary research board. I want my research sheet to be visually engaging, so I am taking time to present my collected information. I will create visuals for block text and annotate the relevance of diagrams and charts to my research. The use of visual aids makes the sheet more aesthetically appealing, hence the audience are more likely to engage and acknowledge the subject matter. 

My initial idea is to use an image of the narcotics being discussed, this lets the audience know what the drugs look like. Then I will overlay a colour to represent the figures shown in my annotation.


Heroin (Left) & Cocaine (Right)


After completing the illustrations I started creating the basic layout for the board. 

The narcotic images were placed next to a body of text explaining the results of my research. I ordered them so that the most shocking amount of seized drugs was at the top. When reviewing the board this will hopefully capture the audiences attention and make them want to read on. Moreover, I used a hierarchy of type, using a larger point size for the number of tons seized, to guide the focus of the audience straight to the shocking fact. 

I also presented some of the diagrams and maps relevant to my research topic, collected from the 'United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime’ 2010  report on the world drug problem. These were accompanied by a body of text explaining their relevance and origin.

Moreover, I used circles, ranging in size, to communicate which mode of transport was most commonly used to smuggle drugs into europe. After collecting images, I used photoshop to crop them into circles and scale them appropriately, saving them as a PDF. enabled me to import the images into illustrator. 

Finally, I produced my design direction board, this explored possible visual solutions as to how I could present my research.

I added relevant images collected from my infographic research. 

Finally, I added text explaining why infographics are the best wat to communicate my message.



Firstly, I created a survey which was handed out to my class mates and friends, the aim of which was to discover the breadth of peoples knowledge on my topic, the results would inform me of how much information needs to be collected on the subject. After analysing my results I found that although people were knowledgeable on the topic, the scale of the problem was unknown. This enabled me to focus my research into the amount of narcotics that are estimated to be smuggled across European boarders. One problem with my primary research was the limited group of people that the survey was given to, if I wanted to improve this i could distribute my survey to the general public.

The results of my survey influenced my research, I started looking at the amount of drugs being smuggled across our boarders. However, here I encountered a problem. nobody knows the amount of drugs being smuggled in as they can only estimate from what they seize. Therefore, I had to use estimated figures instead of solid facts. Moreover, I collected  most of my information and diagrams from the most reliable sources I could find, consisting of government websites, the boarder police website and a European drugs report. As these figures are collected for governmental purposes I believe that they are a reliable source for information regarding my topic.  

The brief required me to consider how I would present my information if I was to produce an outcome. After carefully considering how this should be done, I started collecting research into infographics. I chose to look at infographics as they display otherwise boring information in a visually engaging way. The audience more likely to interact and respond to an infographic poster than they are a poster filled with text. Moreover, presenting my data in this way is also relevant as my research was quite diagram heavy. Therefore, I could have created my own diagrams to show information regarding smuggling routes.

Finally, my boards were created to display my findings. I wanted these to reflect my intended outcome of infographics, so aimed to present my information in the most visually appropriate way. Moreover, I tried to keep a strong theme running throughout my boards so when presented together they dont look disjointed. The boards are visually strong, however, some negative space was left on the second board as there was not enough text to fill the whole space. When next creating boards similar to this I will ensure that there is no unintended negative space left.

No comments:

Post a Comment